Center for Mechanical and Aerospace Science and Technologies
Scientific Coordinator: Anna Guerman
Rua Marquês d’Ávila e Bolama
Phone +351 275 319 700
Historically, the research unit “CAST – Centre for Aerospace Science and Technologies” (www.aerospace.ubi.pt) was created in 1994 by a small group of aerospace engineers.
Now we became a Reasearch Center developing studies in Energy, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering with a wide spectrum of areas, from Astrodynamics to Technological Forecasting.
We are involved in high-level international collaboration, scientific networks, and prestigious professional societies, also aiming
to intensify and promote investigation and collaboration with the industry in these domains in Portugal, to improve the quality of
teaching/learning in the involved institutions, to qualify high-level specialists, and to develop outreach activities.
With these goals in view, the activities of the Centre are multidisciplinary and combine scientific, technological, economic and
social aspects. The Centre research and development activities can be grouped within five main multidisciplinary thematic areas:
• Dynamics and Control of Space Systems (DyCoSS)
• Aeronautical Materials and Structures (AeroMaS)
• Energetic systems (SiNerge)
• Technological Forecasting and Industrial Management (TeFIM)
CAST identifies its objectives as
• Consolidation, intensification and internationalization of research in its activity areas;
• Contribution to national and regional capacity of industrial development and technology transfer;
• Training and qualification of researchers on post-graduate and post-doctoral level and initiation of graduate students in
scientific research in the activity areas;
• Promotion of the scientific culture in academic environment and to general public.